Our Tuesday Centering Prayer group is open to everyone.
What is Centering Prayer?
Centering Prayer is a way of praying that involves surrendering our thoughts as a way to simply be in God’s presence. It is a receptive method of silent prayer that is both a relationship with God and a discipline to deepen that relationship.
- Sixteenth-century mystic John of the Cross taught that “Silence is God’s first language.”
- In the Twenty-first century, Thomas Keating added to John of the Cross’ message, “and everything else is a poor translation.”
- Cynthia Bourgeault holds that “Interior awakening – is the real business of Centering Prayer.”
- James Finley’s podcast series “Turning to the Mystics” includes engaging and helpful teachings on “The Cloud of Unknowing,” written by an anonymous author in the 14th century. The original inspiration for Centering Prayer is rooted in these writings.
- This method of prayer is both a relationship with God and a discipline to foster that relationship. We recommend the Contemplative Outreach website as a wonderful resource for information about Centering Prayer, Welcoming Prayer, and other forms of prayer.
Can I Attend Online?
Our Centering Prayer Group meets every Tuesday online via zoom and, when the weather allows, also in person on the deck at Stillpoint.
If you have any questions regarding Stillpoint’s weekly Centering Prayer meetings, please contact Mary McMahon. Mary can answer questions about our Centering Prayer meetings and provide the zoom link if you choose to meet with us online.
Contemplation is nothing other than a secret, peaceful, loving inflow of God. If given room, it will fire the soul in the spirit of love.
~John of the Cross, trans. Mirabai Starr~
Date and Time: Tuesday from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
We ask that you try to log in or arrive at Stillpoint 5 minutes ahead of our starting time to begin on time.
Location: 1625 Huntley Road, Bellingham, WA and online zoom link (request a link)
Ample free parking available: Look for signs marking the entrance to the parking area.
Cost: This is a free event
For Questions About Our Centering Prayer Group or the Zoom Link
For more information about Centering Prayer or to request a zoom link for the online option, please contact Mary McMahon.